Saturday, March 4, 2017

San Diego

Rebekah:

I can hardly believe that I am writing this post after returning from a different state!  We went to San Diego, California for 5 days and it was the most amazing experience of our lives.  We have never been outside of Texas, seen the ocean, or taken a flight on an airplane.  We did all that and so much more.

When Mommy told us about the trip, we went absolutely crazy:

A few days later, we packed up our stuff and headed to the airport.  I just couldn't believe we were really on an airplane.


After we landed, we took the shuttle to the rental car place and then went straight to the beach.  Here is the very first time Hannah and I saw the ocean.  I think we were slightly more focused on the sand, though.  I would love to tell you that we spent hours there, but about 90 seconds after we arrived we were swept out to sea by 2 inches of water.  We fell on our backs and were completely soaked head to toe, but Mommy kept her cool even though we were very upset.


This is actually a different beach later in the day - La Jolla.  We walked down from these super tall cliffs to the water below.




Hannah wanted to be a buffalo:



Look at all these seals!  They were all having babies.  We got super close to them and had no idea we weren't supposed to be that close.  Oops. We were just following the crowds.  It was still really neat to watch the baby seal next to his Momma.



The next morning began with a big trip to Legoland.  We had seen a video about it before our trip and were very very excited to ride some roller coasters.  We loved Legoland and want to go back immediately!


We were screaming in the shark's mouth.

Check out this cool jousting ride:



I really wanted my picture in front of the Lego Mount Rushmore because we have been studying it in school.

I immediately recognized the Statue of Liberty as well.

This airplane ride was fun too:

This next one was from the Ninjago ride.  We had to use our arms to fight the bad guys in these cool 3D glasses.



We even went to driving school.  I was really good at driving, but it took Hannah and the other kids some time to catch on.  Then they did great.


This play area is definitely the most amazing area I have ever seen before.  Hannah and I ran around like crazy in this thing!

After that exhausting day, we crashed and got ready for the zoo the next day.  We were there right when it opened which is when the animals are usually most active.



We headed straight for the double decker bus tour.

Check out these polar bears:








Check out this grizzly guy.  I'm glad there is a fence behind us.

Let's play a game called "spot the panda eating bamboo."  I win!


This guys was perfectly content just sitting against the glass and occasionally turning to see who was watching him.

This pretend polar bear was a cutie, but only about 1/3 the size of a real one.

This is a preview of our next ride - the Skyfari.  We got to ride in one of those things across the sky!



Skyfari was so cool.  It's like we were up in the clouds!

These turtles were so huge that I could probably ride on one, but it sure would take a long time.

This fake turtle made for a good selfie.

After the zoo was our harbor tour.  Hannah and I have never been on a boat before and this one sure was a big boat!  Check out the Spirit of San Diego.  We headed straight for the top deck.


On our harbor tour, we saw lots of beautiful things on Coronado Island, so we went there next.  The beach was stunning.  It was also really cold and windy!


It was raining the next day, so we went to the Birch Aquarium in La Jolla.  Hannah has a total obsession with jellyfish and they had tons of them!

These little guys in the circle above our heads are also jellyfish.  Hannah called them "baby jellyfish" although Mom tried to explain is was entirely different.

After some time in the aquarium, we stepped out to pet a few sea creatures in their outdoor section.  Then we looked up and saw the most beautiful rainbow.  It went across the entire sky.



Okay, here are two pictures of food.  Mommy made me put these into my blog post, and I just really don't get it.  She ate these two fish tacos (one was shrimp) from the Taco Stand in La Jolla and she said that they were so good that her life would never be the same.  She ordered the carne asada fries for us and boy was that delicious!


Back to the La Jolla beach for our very last beach time!


Check out all of these seals.  It was so incredible.  Hannah kept walking down the path saying "Ahhh, look at those cute seals."  She really loved them.

Hannah even practiced writing her name with the rake.

For our final sand event, we dug a big hole together.  My favorite beach activity was actually collecting shells, and I dedicated most of my efforts in that direction.  With that said, digging this giant hole was really super fun.

After we were done, I got in and Hannah buried my feet in the sand.  Look how tall Hannah is and how the sand it up to my knees.

After such an amazing vacation, it was finally time to head back home.  We were pretty excited about being on the plane again:



San Diego was an amazing trip.  We saw so many amazing things and experienced so many "firsts" in our lives.  It was a special vacation for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment